PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION NOTICE
FINANCIAL INTERMEDIARIES ASSOCIATION OF SOUTHERN AFRICA (FIA)
The Protection of Personal Information (POPI) Act requires us to inform you how we use and disclose personal information we obtain from you.
We are committed to protecting your privacy and will ensure that your personal information is used appropriately, transparently and according to applicable law.
- The Financial Intermediaries Association of Southern Africa (FIA):
The Financial Intermediaries Association of Southern Africa (FIA) is a voluntary, non-profit organisation that represents more than 15 000 financial services intermediaries throughout Southern Africa.
The FIA is governed by a board of directors, democratically elected by its members. The Association is managed by a full-time secretariat and is headed by the Chief Executive Officer. The FIA operates nationally via four regions and 25 branches.
Intermediaries look to the FIA to lead and equip them in their quest to deliver trustworthy, professional advice to their clients. The FIA’s primary purpose is to represent, protect, promote and further the common interests of its members.
- What information we collect:
The personal information we collect and process is mainly to process your application for membership of the Financial Intermediaries Association of Southern Africa (FIA) and to provide you with access to our services and member benefits through our preferred providers. The type of information we collect will depend on the need for which it is collected and will be processed for that specific purpose only.
We collect personal information directly from you when you apply for membership of the FIA or for the services and benefits we offer. We will inform you what information we need and what information is optional.
When you elect to take up benefit offerings from our preferred providers they will require personal information from you and they will be subject to the same privacy regulations as the FIA are subject to.
- How we use your information:
We will use your personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected and agreed to with you. This may include:
- Processing your application for membership of the FIA;
- Processing of membership fee payments to the FIA;
- Conducting credit reference searches or verification;
- Confirming and verifying your identity or for security purposes;
- Detection and prevention of fraud, crime, money laundering or other malpractices;
- Debt tracing or debt recovery;
- Conducting market or customer satisfaction research or for statistical purposes;
- Auditing and record keeping requirements;
- Providing our services to you, to carry out the services you requested and to maintain and constantly improve our relationship with you;
- Providing you with communications in respect of the FIA and regulatory matters that may affect you;
- In connection with and to comply with legal and regulatory requirements or industry codes to which we subscribe or which apply to us, or when it is otherwise allowed by law.
- Disclosure of your information:
We may disclose your personal information to our preferred service providers whose services or products you elect to use. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that they have the necessary privacy policies in place as required by regulation.
We may also share your personal information with, and obtain information about you from third parties for the purposes listed in 3 above.
We may also disclose your information where we have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of applicable legislation, the law or industry codes or where it may be necessary to protect our rights.
- Safeguarding your information:
The POPI Act requires us to adequately protect the personal information we hold and to avoid unauthorisedaccess and use of your personal information. We will continuously review our security controls and processes to ensure that your personal information is secure.
If we need to transfer your personal information to another country for processing or storage we will ensure that any party to whom we pass on your personal information will treat your information with the same level of protection as required from us.
- Your rights to access and correction of your personal information:
You have the right to access the personal information we hold about you. You also have the right to ask us to update, correct or delete your personal information. We will take all reasonable steps to confirm your identity before providing details of your personal information or making changes to your personal information.
You can contact us at the numbers or addresses listed below and request the information you would like:
Information officer: Miekie Jooste
Telephone number: 012 665 0085
Fax number: 012 665 0534
Postal address: PO Box 11901
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Changes to this Notice
Please note that we may amend this Notice from time to time. Please check our website periodically to inform yourself of any changes.